Tuesday, November 18, 2014

2 PETER 1: 12-15 A Reminder of the Basic Truths

Passage :


2 Peter 1:12-15New International Version (NIV)
12 So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. 13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.

Truths:


1. In spite of being firmly established in the word, we should be reminded of the basic truths.
2. As long as we are alive, we need to refresh our memory about our call and election,.
3. We are living in a tent called body and we will leave this aside and go into eternity.
4. The short span we have, should be used for Jesus' glory.
5. Peter refers to the letters he writes to serve as reminders even if he has departed from this earth.

               These verses are a special reminder to the mature Christians and even to a mentor / Teacher. Where ever we stand in our spiritual maturity, we need to always be reminded of the basic truths. As long as we are on this earth, we should refresh our memory on these facts. Until we leave aside this tent called body and join with our Christ , we must always humble ourselves to go back to the word and be reminded of the truths. Even if we are bible scholars, we need to keep ourselves at check by regular meditation on the word.
           To a teacher/ mentor these verses serve as a warning that the life on earth is only for a short span and there is a great responsibility of reminding the people they are mentoring to, of the truths they already know. The teachers should always emphasize the importance of the basics.

 

Application :

These verses teach me the importance of being rooted in the word. Regular time with the word is very important. Even if I feel I know some matters I should always humble myself to remind myself of the basic truths. I also should support my fellow believers with the truths, if I feel they are sliding off the track. Repetition is a best way to learn a new skill and hide it in the subconscious. Hence repeating the basics only makes the roots go deeper in to the soil.

Prayer :

Abba Father, Thank you father to teaching me the importance of refreshing myself of the basic truths. Let me never forget the importance of going back and being refreshed by your word. Help me to use this short span in my life for your glory.
In Jesus name I pray, AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment